My name is Jess Blubaugh, and I’m running to be the next council representative for Kansas City’s 4th District At Large.
When I became involved in my neighborhood several years ago, I found that by raising my hand and using my voice I could make a positive impact on the environment right outside my front door.
As a member and longtime advocate for the Kansas City LGBTQ+ community, I see how much representation matters. I’ll work to ensure that whenever decisions are being made, the voices around the table represent those that the decision will impact. These experiences have inspired me to run for council and continue bettering my community. I won’t pretend to know everything about everything, but I’ll work to ensure I’m gaining insight and understanding from those closest to a topic or issue.
A little more about me:
- I grew up in Manhattan, KS and played softball at Johnson County Community College.
- I graduated from KU and then obtained my Master’s in Organizational Development & Leadership from Rockhurst University.
- I’m the President of the Longfellow Community Association and have served on their board since 2017.
- As the Chief Philanthropy Officer of the United Way of Greater Kansas City, I facilitate connections between the philanthropic community and nonprofits doing important work in the metro.
- As the Director of WIN KC, I worked to empower girls and women through sports, as well as planned events like the Chiefs Super Bowl parade, the Kansas City Marathon, and the Big 12 Basketball Championships.
- I’ve worked in the nonprofit industry for over 18 years – promoting equity in education at Teach for America and working to show the world what Kansas City has to offer at Visit KC.
- I serve on the board of the Mid-America LGBT Chamber working to ensure the success of the LGBT business community.
- I am a graduate of the Centurions Leadership Program and served my class as Steering Committee Chair.
- My home is a classic Kansas City shirtwaist that is around 120 years old. It always needs a bit more work, which means enjoying DIY projects comes in handy.
- In my spare time, I like to take my dogs to the dog park, enjoy local restaurants, or host dinner parties with friends.